September - Early Fall
- Paint the inside of your house if needed
- Clean the garage … I’m a big fan of recycling.
Look into “Freecycle.org” in your area. Help yourself
and at the same time help others!
- Organize tools and garden equipment. Get ready for early fall
home maintenance activities.
- Remove ``pop-up'' drain plugs and clean.
- Check for leaks at valves at the following areas:
- Anywhere water enters the house
- At outdoor faucets and any valves to fixtures, such as,
toilets, bathroom & kitchen sinks, bar, etc.
- Turn each off and on several times to make certain they
Do your "fall" cleaning now before the chilly weather sets
in and enjoy a clean house for the holidays.
- Inspect grout around sinks, tubs and showers. Repair or replace
- Clean patio furniture and prepare for winter storage. Protect
metal surfaces with auto polish. Refinish wood surfaces as needed.
- Drain hot water heater. Flush and refill (this is something
that should be done every 6 months)
- Change the furnace filter
- Wash out garbage cans, disinfect, rinse thoroughly
- Check basement for cracks or leaks. Seal if necessary.
- If you have a sump pump, test, clean and lubricate.
- For plants that are starting to die back, remove litter and
- Add compost, manure, and mulch to garden beds.
- Plant late autumn vegetables like cabbage, peas, spinach,
and swiss chard.
- Divide perennials, iris, and bulbs
- Remove sick or dead trees and shrubs.
- Seed lawn if your yard has patchy spots. Fertilizing now also
encourages good root development.