August - Late Summer
- Check windows and doors to make sure locks work properly and that
they are in good condition. Clean tracks and lubricate hinges. Repair
or replace any cracked windows. Check weather stripping and caulking.
- Perform garage door maintenance. Lubricate garage door hardware
and ensure it is operating properly. Lubricate automatic garage door
opener motor, chain, etc. and ensure that the auto-reverse mechanism
is properly adjusted. Clean any debris from track
- With Labor Day coming up and if you have a deck, check for protruding
nails. Deck boards should never be face-nailed, but many are. If yours
are, there's something you can do about it that's much less expensive
than replacing the deck: Pull the nail, using a flat bar on the nail
and a putty knife to protect the wood from the bar Drive a new screw
-- one made for decks -- into the hole where the nail was. Happy Entertaining!
- Think you need more attic insulation? Add it now. While your up
there check attic vents and fans. Clear them of debris. If you have
a furnace in the attic, check the filter.
- If you use a wood burning stove or fireplace, check on wood cord
prices. Prices always go up early fall.
- Repair minor brick and mortar cracks. Call a professional if necessary,
especially concerning foundations.
- If you have not cleaned gutters for some time, check them now. You
can replace damaged or leaking gutters now, or add leaf guards that
will allow leaves to slide off. A lot of great products on the market
addressing maintenance and debris control.
- If you have a plumbing fixture that is not used frequently, for
example, a laundry tub or spare bathroom sink, tub or shower stall,
run some water briefly to keep water in the trap.
- Deep clean carpets and rugs
- Repair any damaged steps that present a safety problem.
- By now, plants, shrubs, trees have been taking advantage of the
warm weather, so remove any plants that contact, or roots that penetrate,
the sides of your home, brick, fences, etc.
- To eliminate water hammer (a banging noise in pipes), shut off the
incoming water to your house. Open the highest and lowest faucets,
valves or outdoor faucet, and drain all water from pipes to restore
air cushions in the plumbing system.
- Clean condenser coils or fins beneath or behind refrigerator, according
to the manufacturer's instructions. Be certain there is adequate air
flow around the appliance. Replace refrigerator's water filter if you
have an ice/water accessory
- Clean underside of range hood and clean and replace filters if needed
- Summer vacations are common in August. Move some of August’s
maintenance to September.
- August Sales: look for BBQ equipment, patio furniture and back to
school supplies. Check for item prices that you would normally use
during the winter – save money!